Broccoli with Corn and Brown Rice Bake
3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 cup short grain brown rice
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided, pepper to taste
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
2 large heads of broccoli chopped in medium pieces
1 8 ounce can corn drained
1 10 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
1 pound shredded three blend cheese
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt or fresh garlic
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce as much or as little as desired
1. Preheat the oven to 350° , grease a 9 X 11 casserole dish.
2. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons of the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add rice and cook, stirring often, until translucent and toasted, 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Add 1 1/2 cups water and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat to medium-low and simmer until water is absorbed and rice is almost tender, about 35 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat and let sit covered for 5 minutes, then uncover, fluff with a fork and set aside.
5. Heat remaining 1-1/2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
6. Add broccoli, corn, and cream of mushroom soup, cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
7. Add rice, then stir in soup, ½ of the cheese, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, garlic and hot sauce if desired.
8. Add remaining cheese, spread out evenly over top.
9. Cook for 25-30 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and begins to turn golden.