Pineapple Applesauce Matzo Kugel (Parve)
3 1/2 cups matzo farfel
5 large eggs, separate out yolks
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar, (more if you like it sweeter)
1 stick margarine, melted
8 ounce can crushed pineapple with juice
2 cups applesauce (I use chunky)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, optional
Cinnamon and sugar combined for topping (I chop 1/2 cup pecans and add to sugar cinnamon mixture, sprinkle over top, dab more margarine on top)
1/2 cup pecans, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Grease a 9×13- metal or glass pan.
3.Place farfel in a colander and pour hot water over it.
4. In a large bowl, beat together yolks, salt, sugar and margarine. Mix in farfel.
5. Stir in pineapple, applesauce and cinnamon.
6. Stiffly beat egg whites; fold into yolk-farfel mixture.
7. Place the mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle sugar, cinnamon, pecans over top of kugel. Dab with additional margarine.
8.Bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
9. Cool slightly and cut into squares.