4-5 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion diced or 2/3 cups
2 cloves garlic, crushed
½ lb mushrooms, sliced (1/2 cup frozen peas optional)
2 cups Arborio rice
1 cup pumpkin pure
2 tablespoons maple syrup
5-6 cups hot stock (chicken or vegetable)
¾ cup grated parmesan cheese
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Heat butter and oil together in a large saucepan
2. Gently cook the onion and garlic.
3. Add the rice and cook, stirring until the rice is coated in the oil mix.
4. Cook this about 2-3 minutes for a toasted flavor.
5. Stir in the pumpkin and mushrooms. ( ½ cup frozen peas, optional)
6. Pour over 1 cup of the hot stock.
7. Cook, stirring often until the liquid is almost all absorbed.
8. You don’t want the liquid to be boiling in with the rice, just a gentle simmer.
9. Continue stirring and adding stock one cup at a time until the stock is all absorbed and the rice is tender.
10. This takes about 20 minutes.
11. You don’t need to stand there stirring the whole time if you use a non-stick pot and return often.
12. Stir in the parmesan cheese, seasoning, maple syrup and parsley.